On your Career and Contribution
Asking this question will help you identify the right platform to test the skills you have, learn quickly in the new ecosystem, and figure out the skills you need to learn as you go along.
- What are 2 or 3 areas that I can start contributing to right away?
- How does the typical day of this role look like?
- What does it mean to do a good job versus poor jobs? Can you give me some examples?
- Does this job have opportunities for advancement?
- Is this a new position, or did someone leave? If someone left, why did they leave or what did they go on to do?
- Do you have any concerns about my qualifications/capabilities/background in relation to this position?
- What would you like to see me accomplish in my first 6 months here?
On your Stakeholders
No matter which role you are in, it is very likely that your success depends on working well with others. This is due to the increasing complexity and fluidity of organizational structures and teams. The ability to map your stakeholders quickly and connecting the dots is a critical skill.
- Who will I be working closely with?
- Who are my key stakeholders and how do you suggest I can build a credible relationship with them?
On your Leader
Having a good relationship with your manager will be the bedrock for your being able to do your work well and for that matter your career advancement.
- What is your communication and leadership style?
- What kind of situations should I keep you abreast of right away?
- How do you evaluate performance? What does success look like?
- What do you think makes a good leader?
Even within an organization, every team could have its own dynamics, and for you to successfully integrate culturally, it is important to understand these.
- How would you describe the team culture? How can I start collaborating and building trust with my peers?
- What do you like best about your team?
- What do you like best about working for this company?